Jonah Hill is not in it.
I mentioned briefly in a previous post that I grew a beard in November. Well, much to Nathan & Robbie’s chagrin and Sonja’s delight, I shaved it off shortly after Thanksgiving. Here are a few things I learned during the Beard Experience.
- Moustaches really are flavor savers. This can be both good and bad, but is mostly bad.
- Contrary to what I believed, beard maintenance is not simply “stop shaving.”
- Beard owners do not get carded to purchase alcohol. Ever. 29-year-old non-bearded people do.
- Women either love or hate beards. There does not appear to be any middle ground on this issue.
- Sleeping on a pillow with a beard sucks, and is one of the main reasons I got rid of it.
- When you shave a beard off, you find pimples!
So that’s that. I grew it because I’ve never had a beard before. At least, not an intentional beard that was not simply the result of going a few days without shaving. I did have a goatee for a short period in 2000, but it was probably obvious to all who saw it that it was a very amateur attempt.
Will I ever grow a beard again? Perhaps. It wasn’t a wholly unpleasant experience, and I enjoyed seeing peoples’ reaction to it. Especially my boss’, who was away from work for the first week of my beard experiment so he was rather shocked to see the hairy result. Also, I just decided I am going to start a band called The Hairy Result.